Page 7 (1/2)

The Rainbow D H Lawrence 8110K 2023-09-01

II

About 1840, a canal was constructed across thethe newly-opened collieries of the

Erewash Valley A high e the fields to

carry the canal, which passed close to the hoe

So the Marsh was shut off from Ilkeston, and enclosed in the

se

spire of Cossethay

The Brangwens received a fair sum of money from this trespass

across their land Then, a short time afterwards, a colliery was

sunk on the other side of the canal, and in a while the Midland

Railway came down the valley at the foot of the Ilkeston hill,

and the invasion was coere kept busy producing supplies, they became richer,

they were alinal, on the old,

quiet side of the canal e in company of stiff alders, and the road

went under ash-trees past the Brangwens' garden gate

But, looking froh the dark archway of the canal's square aqueduct,

was a colliery spinning away in the near distance, and further,

red, crude houses plastered on the valley inhill of the town